Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Two years...2 not 3...2


Yesterday I had officially been in Canada for 2 years...yay! I can honestly say I wouldn't change my decision and go back. I miss Northern Irelandand my friends and I do miss some of my friends in Scotland but I love my life here. Granted things have changed substantially since I got here but everything has worked out.

I guess the biggest change was my husband walking out but that was a difficult relationship. Due to this blog being very much a public place I'm not going to say anything about that. However with him leaving came the very real thought that here I was with our son and going to have to do this on my own. Thankfully not fully though...my parents have been a massive help and support. Also...the biggest help was letting us live in their basement. So in two years I've acquired a group of tight knit friendships, a house, a car and a career...not too shabby really.

I tend to take everything as it comes and I just deal with it which has worked to my advantage. I guess with everything that happened and all the horrible feelings that went with it came a great feeling of freedom. That mixed with a new country has been quite exciting.

I always get asked how I like it here and if it's different from the U.K...lots and yes. It's such a different way of life. Everyone is so proactive and wants to live life to the fullest and make the most of what they have. There's is a bit of an obsession with stuff and with people's position or job. It's just very different. There is no real going to sit in the pub every day after work for the whole night because you have nothing better to do (I know not everyone did that but from working in pubs I know a great deal of people did). There is just so much more opportunity to do things and so much more available. I think that this move has been the best for Ben and for me. I really wouldn't change it. It's funny to think this decision had been made before I was pregnant....so that's 5 years ago...wow.

I think if anyone has ever thought of moving away to another country even just for a little while they should just go for it. It gives you a whole different perspective and can turn into a brillant adventure. Although on a side note...Northern Ireland will always be home :) I miss it but don't think I'd want to live there again permanently.

No comments:

Post a Comment