Thursday, March 17, 2011

'I have your heart mommy'...'yes you do'


Recently my parents, myself and my son took a trip home to see my family. It was so nice to get to see everyone again as I hadn't been home in about 4 and a half years and it was nice to let Ben see some of Ireland as we went around the family. The trip was great (especially since I don't know how long it will be until I get to go back) and nice to get away from some snow! There were a few yuk moments with flight delays...I do believe Newark is the worst airport for connections ever. Also we had puke fountain on a flight with Ben...chocolate milk is not something you want to see come back up!

I think the trip was much needed after a pretty gross start to the year with surgeries and work. It was weird to go back and see how much has changed. My favourite coffee shop I frequented with friends every week is gone :( It's been replaced with another but to be honest it's just not the same. Where I used to live has totally changed into what would appear to be cut price shops and Belfast has totally come alive with the new Victoria Square shopping centre. It didn't really feel like home anymore. It was weird how much everyone's accents stood out to me (as I got teased for my dodgy one) and how I didn't recognises peoples voices anymore. I guess it kind of hit me that Canada is my home now and not Ireland anymore.

I wish the stay had been longer so that I could've managed to see more people and do more. The time just seemed to fly in. It was a bit sad to leave again...and leave all the yummy food behind (oh how I miss decent chocolate!!). I love my life in Canada though so I think it helped cement the fact that I wouldn't want to live there again.

Unfortunately when I came back I got an earful from my ex about how I was in the U.K and didn't tell him for him to come over. Then I got an email from his mum (after he'd given her my email address) calling me cruel and despicable...a bit rich considering what her son has done to me and Ben. I think it says a lot when you're turning 35 and you get your mum to email and chastise...especially when she doesn't email any other time. Oh and suggesting I send my ex fathers day, birthday and Christmas cards from Ben as it's my 'responsibility'. Hmmm.

Anyway...to give a glimpse of my home...

No comments:

Post a Comment