Thursday, March 11, 2010

Growing Old in the Eyes of 4 Year Old.


I was driving my son to daycare this morning and explaining to him that his Granny and Grandpa are going away for a week because Grandpa has a meeting.
This led into a discussion about what exactly a meeting is. Once before once of my parent's friend's asked him in church what a meeting was and Ben had replied 'somewhere people go to talk a lot and eat'...I'd say he got it pretty much right. So today we broached this topic again and I explained, based on experience, it's where you go to hear people talk and for you to talk about really boring things that make you think about the 100 other places you'd rather be, such as eating your own eye out with a spoon. So Ben's take on meetings was...
"Mommy, when I'm older I'm going to go to a meeting where I talk for a long time about fireman jelly" (sounds like a better meeting than the ones I've been to...sign me up!
We stopped to get petrol on the way and when I got back into the car he decided to tell me what kind of car he wanted when he grows up...
"Mommy, when I'm older I want a red car with flashing red lights on the front and flashing red lights on the back and a siren"
"You mean you want a fire engine Ben?"
"Yes a fire engine...a red one"

You'd never guess that Ben wants to be a fireman with a fire engine and his favourite colour is red at all! At least he'll have his whole future planned out before he's 18. He can drive around in his fire engine holding long meetings about fire engine jelly!

2 comments:

  1. I want a meeting about fire engine jelly - they sound fun.

    Kate xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too...not sure I'd want my son to be the speaker tho!

    ReplyDelete